I was inspired to create this picture by the Codex Manesse manuscript (319r). My version is somewhat slimmed down from the original, with the removal of the heraldic identifiers and two of the fish, leaving the remainder more symmetrical.
I used DMC cottons: mouliné and perlé, with additional detail in gold thread and beading. The stitches are a modern version of opus anglicanum, comprising of laid and couched threads and split stem stitch. One maiden’s flowered headdress is constructed from French knots. Faces, hands and the central woman’s veil are stitched in mouliné so that the finished texture appears finer and smoother than that of the clothing and, of course, the boat and paddles!
The border is machine appliquéd felt. I chose to machine this because I had managed to give myself tendinitis in a thumb and two fingers when I was sewing the later stages of the main embroidery section. Painful lessons learned and I have since adapted my technique to avoid this in future.